#By RENALDO DORSETT
#Tribune Sports Reporter
#Amron Sands is now listed at No.15 among contenders for the North American Boxing Federation heavyweight title.
#The organisation recently released its August 2020 rankings and the undefeated Sands progressed several spots from the previous update.
#The NABF is one of nine regional sanctioning bodies under the World Boxing Council (WBC).
#Canada’s Arslanbek Makmudov is the current NABF heavyweight champion while Tyson Fury of Great Britain is the WBC champion.
#The list of contenders features several former champions, including Deontay Wilder (No.1), Andy Ruiz (No.5), and Michael Hunter (No.3).
#In his last match Sands improved to 11-0 (nine KOs) via unanimous decision over Cristian Galvez on February 20 at Club Deportivo Calero in Santo Domingo, The Dominican Republic.
#Earlier this year, Sands also participated in training camp alongside former WBC heavyweight champion Wilder.
#Under Kevin Dever Sports Management, Sands joined DiBella Entertainment and finished off 2019 with three fights in a four-month span.
#“I signed with DiBella Entertainment because Lou is one of the most trustworthy promoters in boxing and he has great relationships in the business to get my name out there. I know that, with his guidance, I can become the heavyweight champion of the world. I can box and I can bang and I’m what the heavyweight division needs. I’m very excited about my future and am ready to put in the work,” Sands said.
#“He told me I was the biggest prospect he signed last year. If they keep up their work with the pace we are on I should be the first major title holder for a Bahamian heavyweight.”
#Once the calendar shifted to 2020, Sands scored several knockouts – in February against Hector Hodge in the opening frame, a second-round stoppage of Thomas Hawkins in August and and a win over Daniel Najera of Mexico via first-round stoppage in November on the undercard of “Rumble In The Bay” at the JCC Center in Tampa, Florida.
#During the COVID-19 pandemic, Sands told The Tribune that like all athletes in their respective disciplines, his progression has been halted by the restrictions.
#“I know for sure that this year I was supposed to be in the top 20 in the world, but hopefully we will get over this soon and we can resume what we were doing. We just need everybody to stay safe and clean so that we can get over this. We need to get sports back to where it was even though we know that it won’t be the same with some of the things that they did before,” he said. “I’m good. I am in shape. If they say Amron we have a fight for you tomorrow, I’ll take that because I’m ready. It’s hard to get ready, but when you stay ready, it’s so much easier. I’m good. I am in shape and ready to go whenever the calls come.”
#Combat sports have returned with several boxing and mixed martial arts promotions hosting events